Jason and I met with Dr. Salloum (the oncologist) on Friday. We discussed the genetic results and his strong recommendation is bilateral mastectomy, which is what we were already leaning towards. Because I am opting for surgery, there is no need to put any medication into my body at this time.
We will meet with the surgeon on March 1st and hopefully, get his recommendations for plastic surgeons. Since I want to wait until the summer to have surgery, I don’t expect us to set a date right now.
I also need to make an appointment with my gynecologist to discuss ovary removal. I’ve been reading several books, which I’ll name when I’m not blogging from my phone, and one of the books said it is possible to wait until 45 to remove ovaries because ovarian cancer with the BRCA 2 gene mutation usually occurs after menopause. We know that we are done having kids, but I’m not sure I want to deal with the side effects of having my ovaries removed right now.
I’m still doing ok and just taking everything day by day.