1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Had surgery (3 actually).
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t think I made any resolutions last year. If I did it was to lose weight and I think I stayed pretty constant throughout the year. I have set a goal to lose weight this year. We are doing the Biggest Loser at work again for 5 months and hopefully, I lose at least a pound a week and I will be happy with that.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My boss and his wife had a baby. They have been trying for several years and were working on adopting when she got pregnant.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 10 – Lumpectomy
June 7 – Bilateral Mastectomy with tissue expanders
November 1 – Exchange surgery to remove tissue expanders and replace with saline implants
December 29 – Plastic surgeon told me that I didn’t need to see him anymore unless I had any problems.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Surviving the year.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not keeping better control of our finances.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Unfortunately, yes. Breast cancer and testing positive for the BRCA2 gene which resulted in the other surgeries.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Jason for sticking beside me through all of it.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
There are some people who will remain nameless that caused me to check my head at their behavior.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Doctor’s appointments and surgeries.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I can’t say that there was too much to be excited about this year.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Martina McBride’s – I’m Gonna Love You Through It
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier. this time last year I was scheduling my lumpectomy to remove my cancer.
b) thinner or fatter? about the same
c) richer or poorer? about the same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Stayed out of doctor’s offices
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
We stayed home. Christmas Eve we went to church and then to my Dad’s for our annual Christmas Eve get-together. Christmas morning H woke us up at 4 am and then again at 6 am to open presents. We went back to bed until it was time to get ready for church and then we went to Jason’s dad’s house for lunch after church. Then we went home and played with the Xbox Kinect.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
More in love with my husband for standing by my side.
23. What was your favorite TV program?
I loved the Voice and that introduced me to Adam Levine and Moves Like Jagger.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
I read many books this past year. I read all of John Locke’s Donovan Creed series. I read Water for Elephants and then was pleasantly surprised that the movie didn’t deviate from the book. I can’t remember when I read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, but I’m pretty sure that was this year, too.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Adele. Now I know what I was missing.
27. What did you want and get?
Not having to do chemo and/or radiation.
28. What did you want and not get?
a fun vacation
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
I can’t say that I had a favorite. I enjoyed the Smurfs with Haley and I watched Midnight in Paris last week. Nothing else jumps out at me as my favorite.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31 and I was sick with the flu.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not having to deal with this whole cancer crap.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Very casual – jeans and t-shirts with my flip flops.
33. What kept you sane?
Jason and my friends.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
I tried to avoid political issues this year.
36. Who did you miss?
My mom – I think this year would have been a lot easier with her here.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
The wonderful nurses at my surgeons’ offices. I need to remember to pick up a gift card for one of them.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
This verse stuck with me all year – “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
Even though these definitely wouldn’t have been my plans for the year, but by going through it now, I do have a future.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
When you’re weak, I’ll be strong
When you let go, I’ll hold on
When you need to cry, I swear that I’ll be there to dry your eyes
When you feel lost and scared to death,
Like you can’t take one more breath
Just take my hand, together we can do this
I’m gonna love you through it.